If you’re a director of a company, you may have heard the term Director ID lately.
It is now a requirement by ASIC that all company directors have a Director ID. A director identification number (director ID) is a unique identifier you will keep forever. You will only ever have one Director ID, no matter how many director positions you hold, this number will remain the same. This extra level of security will help to prevent false or fraudulent director identities.
Although you do not need to have this ID until 30 November 2022, we are strongly encouraging all directors to act now. For more information, please visit the Australian Business Registry Services ABRS.
You must apply for your own director ID to verify your identity. Unfortunately, no one can apply on your behalf, not even your Accountant.
To obtain your Director ID, follow the steps below:
- Download the MyGov ID app, make sure your identity strength is standard: MyGov ID
- Once you have the MyGov ID app on your phone, gather two of the below documents as proof of identity, as well as your TFN and residential address as held by the ATO:
- bank account details
- an ATO notice of assessment
- super account details
- a dividend statement
- a Centrelink payment summary
- PAYG payment summary
- Follow the link to apply for your Director ID: ABRS Director ID
Please ensure your personal details are correct and up to date. ASIC have strict rules around keeping records up to date, if you find any of your details are not correct and need updating, please let us know before completing the application. ASIC may enforce fines if details are not kept up to date.
As always, we are here to assist you if you need help.